April 3, 2020
The City Commission passed an ordinance enacting a curfew effective April fourth from 10 pm to 5 am daily. This curfew is for all areas within the jurisdictional limits of the City of Opa-locka. No person shall be outside during the curfew hours either as a pedestrian or by means of a vehicle unless such person is determined to be engaged in essential travel. A copy of the complete order is available here.
March 27, 2020
- The effects of COVID-19 continue to require extraordinary and immediate actions by the City. In order to protect the public health, safety, and welfare, we are ordering everyone to remain in their residence under the "safer at home" emergency measure. This deceleration also includes a number of closings of businesses and gatherings, limitation of occupancy, and price gouging. please City's Facebook page for the complete declaration of emergency. We urge everyone to continue to practice social distancing and washing of hands continuously through out the day.
March 23, 2020
March 19, 2020
- Hard Rock Stadium COVID-19 testing site set to open today, March 23rd at 9AM for first responders and people over 65 years of age that have COVID-19 symptoms.
- As the City of Opa-locka continues to monitor Coronavirus (COVID-19), and in an effort to protect our Residents, visitors, and staff please be advised of the following changes to available services. We will continue to be available by phone during normal business hours at 305-953-2868.
- Effective immediately the City of Opa-locka has postponed the red light hearings until further notice
- The Opa-locka Police Department has suspended fingerprinting services and also closed it’s property and evidence section in response to COVID-19 (coronavirus). This was done in an abundance of prudence to protect our citizens and officers from the potential spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus). This actions will be implemented until further notice.
- Mayor Carlos Gimenez signed two additional emergency orders earlier this morning. The first order calls for the closure of all parks, beaches, golf courses, and recreational facilities in the County effective 9 AM today (March 19th). The second orders calls for the closure of nonessential businesses and commercial establishments effective 9 PM tonight. Please visit the City's Facebook page to view the emergency orders.
March 17, 2020
- The City of Opa-locka will not be processing water service disconnections for late payments until further notice.
Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez has signed an emergency order closing down all alcohol and food establishments, gyms, and more effective March 17 at 11PM. Food establishments may only operate kitchens that provide drive thru, take out, or delivery services. Please visit the City's Facebook page to read the complete Emergency Order.
March 16, 2020
The safety and well-being of our citizens, businesses, and visitors is a top priority for the City of Opa-locka. The City of Opa-locka is taking the necessary steps to monitor the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and will do all that we can to ensure the safety of all. In an abundance of caution, the City of Opa-locka is canceling the following meetings and special events for the month of March 2020.
- City of Opa-locka Voter Registration Event scheduled for Monday, March 16, 2020 at 1:00 p.m. is canceled.
- City of Opa-locka Community Relations, Recreation and Activities Advisory Board Meeting scheduled for Monday, March 16, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. is canceled.
- City of Opa-locka Planning & Zoning Board Meeting scheduled for Tuesday, March 17, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. is canceled.
- Strategic Planning & Goals Setting Workshop scheduled for Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. is canceled.
- Free Food Distribution scheduled for Friday, March 20, 2020. is canceled.
- Regular Commission Meeting scheduled for Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. is canceled.
- Community Bingo scheduled for Friday, March 27, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. is canceled.
- City of Opa-locka Seniors on the Move: All senior programs are canceled until further notice.
- City of Opa-locka Adult and Youth Programs: All adult and youth programs are canceled until further notice.
- City of Opa-locka Community Events: All City events for the month of March are canceled.
- City of Opa-locka Event Space Rentals: All reservations for the months of March and April will be rescheduled for later dates. At this time we will not accept future reservations.
- City of Opa-locka Spring Break Camp: Spring Break Camp scheduled for March 23 – 27, 2020 is canceled.
- City of Opa-locka After-School Program: After-school programs has been canceled and is subject to change based on decisions made by Miami- Dade Public School System.
March 15, 2020
- Effective Monday March 16, Miami Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez has ordered all restaurants, bars and clubs in the County to shut down at 11PM and to cut their capacity by 50% in order to allow for social distancing of at least 6 feet.. Restaurant kitchens can stay open after 11PM for food take out orders only.